BUILDING PERMITS AND APPLICATIONS
Building permits are required for new buildings and structures, as well as demolition, relocation and replacement of existing buildings and structures.
Building permits are essential for protecting property owners and the community by ensuring that new developments are safe and comply with local by-laws and regulations and the National Building Code of Canada.
The permit fees go toward covering the cost of the work involved in issuing the permit, such as verifying compliance with provincial and municipal regulations and national standards. Any necessary inspections are also covered by the fees.
Note that all fees collected by the planning department are returned in full to the community in which the permit is issued.
Each project is unique and requires different documentation to ensure compliance. The requirements for a new home, for example, are greater than those for an additional shed. While the following list provides some guidance, we strongly recommend that you contact one of our inspectors to confirm what will be needed for your project.
Here are examples of some of the documents that their inspectors may request from you:
- P.I.D. (property identification) number (found on your tax bill)
- Estimated project cost
- Complete set of plans, to scale
- Required approvals:
- Department of Health (sewage systems)
- Department of Transportation (setbacks, access permits)
- Department of Environment (if within 30 metres of a watercourse or if wetlands are involved)
- Commercial, industrial and institutional buildings may require additional approvals (Fire Marshal, etc.)
- Any other document required to certify compliance or approvals from other government agencies (check with our building inspector)
- Department of Health: 1-506-856-2814
- Department of Transportation and Infrastructure: 1-506-523-7622
- Department of Environment and Local Government: 1-506-856-2374
- Service New Brunswick (Civic Number - 911): 1-888-353-4444
- Department of Public Safety: 1-506-453-3992
Download a copy of the Building permit form: Building Permit Application form